5 Facts About Heroin Addiction
Heroin is a highly addictive drug. It is made from morphine. The drug is commonly used in older adults but is finding its way into the hands of teens and younger people at alarming rates. Take a look at five more facts about heroin addiction that you should know.
1. Heroin is dark brown or black in color. A person can smoke or inject this drug. Heroin can also be snorted or sniffed, but this is the least common method of use. Using heroin only one time can lead to an addiction or an overdose.
2. A person develops a tolerance to heroin over time. This means the user needs more and more of the drug to get the same high feeling they want. This also leads to more danger to the user.
3. Withdrawal from heroin can lead to a lot of very dangerous symptoms and conditions. A person may start experiencing these symptoms within a few hours of their last hit of heroin. Symptoms of withdrawal include agitation, anger, stomach pain, nausea and vomiting, headaches, and
4. The cravings for heroin that a person experiences can last for months or years after their last use. This is one reason the drug is so dangerous and has such a high incidence of relapse.
5. Over 13 million people in the world take opioids medications. This includes about 9.2 million heroin users.
Although an addiction takes a toll on your life, help is out there. It is best to attend one of the great detox programs in gulfport, ms before entering rehab. Detox programs help clear all the drugs from your system so you can get on the right track to living life drug-free. Most people are successful in beating their addiction to heroin when they first attend a detox program.